This Web Page is DILLEY
Descendants of George Dilley
Generation No. 1
1. GEORGE1 DILLEY was born in Scotland.
Notes for GEORGE DILLEY:
Moved to Salem, Massachussetts in 1639.
Child of GEORGE DILLEY is:
2. i. JOHN2 DILLEY, SR..
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN2 DILLEY, SR. (GEORGE1). He married CATHERINE HIMPIN.
Children of JOHN DILLEY and CATHERINE HIMPIN are:
3. i. JOHN3 DILLEY, JR., b. March 13, 1774, Shenandoah County, Virginia.
ii. JAMES DILLEY, b. Pennsylvania.
4. iii. CHRISTIAN DILLEY.
iv. MARTIN DILLEY, b. Maryland; m. HANNAH MOORE, January 25, 1809.
5. v. HENRY DILLEY, b. 1771; d. 1817, Lawrence County, Ohio.
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN3 DILLEY, JR. (JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born March 13, 1774 in Shenandoah County, Virginia. He married ELIZABETH ECKLAND December 24, 1794 in Gree Briar County,West Virginia.
Children of JOHN DILLEY and ELIZABETH ECKLAND are:
6. i. JOSEPH A4 DILLEY, b. 1793, Botetourt County, Virginia; d. March 16, 1879, Allegheny County, Maryland.
7. ii. HANNAH DILLEY, b. March 17, 1797, Botetourt County, Virginia; d. July 17, 1849, Lawrence County, Ohio.
8. iii. BARNETT DILLEY, b. February 23, 1801, Botetourt County, Virginia; d. July 26, 1863, Daviess County, Missouri.
9. iv. PENINAH DILLEY, b. July 25, 1801, Botetourt County, Virginia; d. February 01, 1886, Lawrence County, Ohio.
10. v. ANNA DILLEY, b. 1806, Greenbriar County, West Virginia.
11. vi. JAMES DILLEY, b. 1810, Greenbriar County, West Virginia.
12. vii. CATHERINE DILLEY, b. February 15, 1811, Greenbriar County, West Virginia.
13. viii. ABNER DILLEY, b. August 15, 1814, Greenbrier County, West Virginia; d. August 15, 1903, Lawrence County, Ohio.
14. ix. DIANA DILLEY, b. March 05, 1818, Lawrence County, Ohio; d. August 10, 1885, Vernon, Lawrence County, Ohio.
x. ELIZABETH DILLEY, b. 1802, Greenbriar County, Virginia.
xi. BIRD DILLEY, b. 1816, Ohio; m. MRS.DILLEY, October 30, 1839, Lawrence County, Ohio.
4. CHRISTIAN3 DILLEY (JOHN2, GEORGE1). He married MARY HEVELAR February 24, 1796.
Children of CHRISTIAN DILLEY and MARY HEVELAR are:
i. ABRAHAM4 DILLEY.
ii. ISSAC DILLEY.
iii. JACOB DILLEY.
5. HENRY3 DILLEY (JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born 1771, and died 1817 in Lawrence County, Ohio. He married MARGARET SHARP October 22, 1810, daughter of JOHN SHARP.
Children of HENRY DILLEY and MARGARET SHARP are:
i. JOSEPH4 DILLEY, m. MARY ANN FRIEL.
ii. THOMAS DILLEY, m. PEACHY VAN REENAN.
iii. RALPH DILLEY, m. MARY JANE MOORE, April 30, 1851.
iv. DANIEL DILLEY, m. MS. MOORE.
15. v. WILLIAM DILLEY.
16. vi. JOHN DILLEY.
Generation No. 4
6. JOSEPH A4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born 1793 in Botetourt County, Virginia, and died March 16, 1879 in Allegheny County, Maryland. He married ELIZABETH MATTHEWS September 01, 1817 in Allegheny County, Maryland.
Children of JOSEPH DILLEY and ELIZABETH MATTHEWS are:
i. ARMIDA ELIZABETH5 DILLEY, b. 1815; m. JOHN EVERETT.
ii. MARGARET DILLEY, b. 1818; m. BENJAMIN R EDWARDS.
iii. JOHN FRANKLIN DILLEY, b. 1820; m. MARIA.
Notes for JOHN FRANKLIN DILLEY:
John Franklin Dilley was in the army in the Minnesota Cavalry during the Civil War. He resided in St Paul Minnesota where he enlisted.
iv. MINERVA DILLEY, b. 1822; m. SAMUEL ATHENY.
v. BARNEY DILLEY, b. 1823; m. RACHEL E CLARY.
7. HANNAH4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born March 17, 1797 in Botetourt County, Virginia, and died July 17, 1849 in Lawrence County, Ohio. She married ARMSTRONG RANKIN October 25, 1816 in Gallia County, Ohio.
Notes for HANNAH DILLEY:
Hannah is buried at Rankin Farm, Near Aid, Lawrence, Ohio
Children of HANNAH DILLEY and ARMSTRONG RANKIN are:
i. MARY POLLY5 RANKIN, b. 1818; m. SYLVESTER WESLEY DRUMMOND.
ii. HIRAM RANKIN, b. 1818; m. SUSAN DRUMMOND.
iii. JOHN RANKIN, b. October 26, 1821; d. August 06, 1844.
iv. PENINA RANKIN, b. August 16, 1823; m. THORNTON LAMBERT.
v. SARAH ANN RANKIN, b. December 18, 1825; m. FREEMAN MIDDLETON.
vi. WILLIAM J RANKIN, b. October 21, 1827; m. BARBARA STIVERS.
vii. ASBERNIA RANKIN, b. October 18, 1829; m. JOHN HENRY LAMBERT.
viii. MAHALIA RANKIN, b. January 24, 1831; m. NICHOLAS NULL.
ix. MATILDA RANKIN, b. January 24, 1831; m. GEORGE WASHINGTON LANE.
x. JAMES LOUDEN RANKIN, b. January 03, 1834.
xi. THOMPSON RANKIN, b. December 27, 1836; m. SUSAN.
xii. BARNETT RANKIN, b. November 15, 1837.
xiii. DIANA A RANKIN, b. September 13, 1839; m. ANDREW J JOHNSON.
8. BARNETT4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born February 23, 1801 in Botetourt County, Virginia, and died July 26, 1863 in Daviess County, Missouri. He married MINERVA COOPER December 20, 1825 in Lawrence County, Ohio.
Notes for BARNETT DILLEY:
Barnett is buried in Loof Cemetery, Pattonsburg, Daviess, Missouri
Children of BARNETT DILLEY and MINERVA COOPER are:
i. HENRY5 DILLEY, b. 1827; m. MINERVA.
ii. JOSEPH DILLEY, b. September 06, 1828; m. (1) MARY ROSE; m. (2) DELILAH RICE.
iii. WASHINGTON DILLEY, b. July 28, 1831; m. (1) ELIZABETH CAIN; m. (2) ELIZABETH ELLIS.
iv. WILLIAM DILLEY, b. 1833; m. PHOEBE RICE.
v. JOHN DILLEY, b. October 24, 1834; m. MARY ANN THOMAS.
vi. MARGARET CANDACE DILLEY, b. March 03, 1836; m. GEORGE W RICE.
vii. HARVEY DILLEY, b. 1838; m. SUSAN ANN BAILEY.
viii. DELILAH DILLEY, b. 1841; m. THOMAS ROLSTON.
ix. WILLIS DILLEY, b. February 04, 1843; m. E MARGARET MCLAUGHLIN.
x. REBECCA DILLEY, b. 1847.
xi. SARAH DILLEY, b. 1854.
9. PENINAH4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born July 25, 1801 in Botetourt County, Virginia, and died February 01, 1886 in Lawrence County, Ohio. She married MARTIAL GOLDEN September 01, 1823 in Lawrence County, Ohio.
Children of PENINAH DILLEY and MARTIAL GOLDEN are:
i. MAHALA JANE5 GOLDEN, m. CHARLES H MYERS.
ii. LOURINDA GOLDEN, b. July 25, 1824; m. JOSHUA HORNBUCKLE.
iii. FLETCHER GOLDEN, b. July 08, 1826; m. HARRIET LIONBARGER.
iv. CHARLES GOLDEN, b. July 12, 1828.
v. ARVILLA GOLDEN, b. July 25, 1830; m. (1) WILLIAM H SPICER; m. (2) LEWIS BREWER.
vi. WILLIAM C GOLDEN, b. April 04, 1835; m. MARY R ROACH.
vii. THOMAS GOLDEN, b. September 14, 1837; m. MARY FRANCIS RICHARDSON.
viii. FRANCES GOLDEN, b. May 06, 1840; d. 1842.
ix. HARRISON GOLDEN, b. June 10, 1842; d. 1842.
x. ANN ELIZABETH GOLDEN, b. April 12, 1845.
10. ANNA4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born 1806 in Greenbriar County, West Virginia. She married JOHN KELLEY June 05, 1823 in Lawrence County, Ohio.
Children of ANNA DILLEY and JOHN KELLEY are:
i. WILLIAM5 KELLEY, b. 1827; m. (1) ARTIE LANE; m. (2) EMALINE N HOLDER.
ii. PERMINA KELLEY, b. 1830; m. HANIBAL BARNETT.
iii. LEWIS KELLEY, b. 1830; m. JANE.
iv. MELVINA KELLEY, b. 1830; m. HENRY NIDAY.
v. POLLY KELLEY, b. 1835; m. DANIEL KAYLER.
vi. MINERVA KELLEY, b. 1837; m. NORRIS T ALLEN.
vii. CATHERINE KELLEY, b. 1839.
viii. NANCY JANE KELLEY, b. 1842; m. (1) CLINT GALLUP; m. (2) AMOS RATLIFF, August 31, 1865.
ix. CHARLES KELLEY, b. 1843; m. UNMARRIED.
x. JOHN KELLEY, b. 1847; m. ANN SMITH.
11. JAMES4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born 1810 in Greenbriar County, West Virginia. He married (1) DELILAH HALL January 07, 1830 in Lawrence County, Ohio. He married (2) SUSANNAH WHITTINGTON 1849.
Children of JAMES DILLEY and DELILAH HALL are:
i. MARY ANN5 DILLEY, b. 1830; m. GEORGE POOL.
ii. WASHINGTON TRACY DILLEY, b. November 07, 1830; m. MARY ANN BIGGERSTAFF.
iii. HESTER ANN DILLEY, b. 1834; m. (1) JOHN J KNOX; m. (2) MR. AKERS.
iv. SARAH AMANDA DILLEY, b. September 17, 1837; m. SIMON ADAMS.
v. ELIZABETH DILLEY, b. 1838.
vi. JULIA ANN DILLEY, b. 1839; m. JOHN KELLY.
vii. ARVILLA DILLEY, b. 1841; m. ELI BRUMBAUGH.
viii. JAMES VINTON DILLEY, b. March 10, 1843; m. SARAH R STRONG.
Children of JAMES DILLEY and SUSANNAH WHITTINGTON are:
ix. JAMES B5 DILLEY.
x. LUCINDA DILLEY.
xi. WILLIAM DILLEY.
12. CATHERINE4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born February 15, 1811 in Greenbriar County, West Virginia. She married (1) ALLEN TALLEY March 03, 1831 in Lawrence County, Ohio. She married (2) PETER CARTER 1860 in Daviess County, Missouri.
Children of CATHERINE DILLEY and ALLEN TALLEY are:
i. ALMA5 TALLEY, b. June 22, 1837; m. (1) SUSAN CARTER; m. (2) MARY BELCHER.
ii. EMMA TALLEY, b. 1841; m. (1) LINDSAY PRICE; m. (2) WILLIAM PUCKETT.
iii. JOSEPH TALLEY, b. 1844; m. (1) ELIZABETH WOODY; m. (2) NANCY LEACH.
iv. ELISHA TALLEY, b. March 13, 1847; m. (1) THELMA PRICE; m. (2) MARY A GILES.
13. ABNER4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born August 15, 1814 in Greenbrier County, West Virginia, and died August 15, 1903 in Lawrence County, Ohio. He married ARMILDA RUSSELL December 20, 1837 in Lawrence County, Ohio, daughter of JOHN RUSSELL and HANNAH RANKIN.
Children of ABNER DILLEY and ARMILDA RUSSELL are:
i. HARRIET5 DILLEY, b. 1838, Aid, Lawrence County,Ohio; m. RANDALL STIVERS.
ii. AMISSETTA DILLEY, b. September 1839, Aid, Lawrence County,Ohio; m. NATHAN JUSTICE.
iii. CHARITY ELLA DILLEY, b. November 02, 1841, Aid, Lawrence County, Ohio; d. April 14, 1927, Council Grove, KS; m. JOHN LEE ALLEN, December 10, 1867, Lawrence County, Ohio.
Notes for CHARITY ELLA DILLEY:
Schoolteacher and educator, whe came from a wealthy family. She was a great bible student.
Notes for JOHN LEE ALLEN:
He was 87 when he died.
He was a Civil War veteran who served as a Corporal in Company K, Fifth Regiment, West Virginia infantry, from November 6, 1861 through November 23, 1864. Later he was promoted to Sergeant. He became sick with typhoid fever at Sperryville, VA
He was a member of Wadsworth Post, No 7, Department of Kansas, Grand Army of the Republic.
John and Chairty Allen lived on Litte Ice Creek, Ironton, Ohio for the first years of their marriage. All 8 children were born in that location. The family came to Kansas in December 1884. The trip was made to Cincinnati, Ohio by river boat, then by train to Parkerville, Kansas. It took three days and nights to make the trip by train. Harriet Dilley Stivers, a sister of Charity lived at Parkerville, a small town a few miles north of Council Grove, Kansas. Here the family of ten lived in two rooms over the post office for several months before moving to a farm owned by Harriet Stivers. Here they had three rooms and a kitchen roof that leaked. On November 28, 1886 William died of typhoid fever. Several other children had the disease but recovered. In the spring of 1904 the family moved to Council Grove (See obituary of John L. Allen and his Civil War redords).
Cemetery lot for John L. Allen and Chairty Ella Allen as listed above, purchased October 1917, W F Shamleffer, Mayor, H W Craven, City Clerk. Recorded in book 29 of Deeds, page 444.
iv. SORILDA JANE DILLEY, b. 1844, Aid, Lawrence County,Ohio; d. 1902, Buried at Woodland Cemetery, Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio; m. LORENZO DOW MARKIN, October 05, 1865, Lawrence County, Ohio.
Notes for LORENZO DOW MARKIN:
Lorenzo was wounded at Winchester VA while in the 5th W VA Vol Inf Regt. Later became the Sheriff of Lawrence County, Ohio. He is buried in Woodland cemetery Coal Grove Ohio.
v. ALBERT DILLEY, b. 1847, Aid, Lawrence County, Ohio; d. during Civil War.
vi. ABRAM NEWTON DILLEY(ALVA), b. 1856, Aid Township, Lawrence County, Ohio; d. Parkersville Kansas.
vii. HESTER ANN DILLEY, b. August 06, 1851, Aid Township, Lawrence County, Ohio; d. February 10, 1916, Lawrence County, Ohio; m. COLEMAN GREEN KEYS.
Notes for HESTER ANN DILLEY:
Hester is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Section 20, Ironton, Lawrence County, Ohio
Notes for COLEMAN GREEN KEYS:
Coleman is buried in Woodland Cemetery, Ironton, lawrence County, Ohio
14. DIANA4 DILLEY (JOHN3, JOHN2, GEORGE1) was born March 05, 1818 in Lawrence County, Ohio, and died August 10, 1885 in Vernon, Lawrence County, Ohio. She married WILLIAM FITZER February 19, 1840 in Greenup County, KY.
Notes for DIANA DILLEY:
Diana is buried in Powellsville, Scioto, Ohio
Children of DIANA DILLEY and WILLIAM FITZER are:
i. SARAH HANNAH5 FITZER, b. 1840; m. LOUIS KNAPP.
ii. JAMES HENRY FITZER, b. February 11, 1842; m. MARGARET SMITH.
iii. WILLIAM HARVEY FITZER, b. May 08, 1845; m. SUSAN D CARTER.
iv. LOUISA JANE FITZER, b. March 29, 1846; m. JOHN CAHIA TRIMMER.
v. JOHN M FITZER, b. 1849.
vi. BARNEY D FITZER, b. 1851; m. CLARA.
vii. CHARLES FITZER, b. 1853.
viii. MARTHA ANN FITZER, b. 1855; d. 1870.
ix. LUELLA T FITZER, b. 1857; m. WILLIAM H TRIMMER.
x. MARY MAGGIE FITZER, b. 1860.
15. WILLIAM4 DILLEY (HENRY3, JOHN2, GEORGE1). He married (1) ELIZABETH BAKER. He married (2) ANN DREPARD. He married (3) MARY FRIEL February 29, 1844, daughter of JEREMIAH FRIEL.
Children of WILLIAM DILLEY and ANN DREPARD are:
i. BYRON DREPARD5 DILLEY, d. Fairview Cemetery; m. MS. FRIEL.
ii. TIPTON KOHAN DILLEY, m. MS. BARLOW.
iii. STEPHEN DILLEY.
16. JOHN4 DILLEY (HENRY3, JOHN2, GEORGE1). He married ELEANOR FRIEL February 01, 1839.
Child of JOHN DILLEY and ELEANOR FRIEL is:
i. FRANCES5 DILLEY, m. LT HENRY M. POAGE.